Sheaf Lodge – Back to School!
With the news that a new “School” Lodge, is proposed for Old Boys and staff of Bradford Grammar School, it may be of interest to readers to hear of an existing School Lodge. Sheaf Lodge No. 6990, meeting at Tapton Hall, Sheffield, was consecrated in 1950 to enable Old Boys and staff of High Storrs Grammar School, Sheffield to continue to meet in Masonic fellowship outside the school.
The 25 founding members included the Headmaster W. Bro. G. Mack and three assistant masters. Membership originally was restricted to those having a connection with the school, but over the years, outside candidates were admitted and today, only one member, the Secretary W. Bro. Christopher Watson, PPGSwd.B. can claim that distinction.
However, once a year, the Lodge extends a welcome to all Masonic Old Boys of the school and on Tuesday the 19th of March, eleven were present to be entertained by a talk on the early history of Freemasonry given by a distinguished OB, W. Bro. Dr. John D. Wade who retired as Teaching Fellow in Latin and Greek at the University of Sheffield and, at the present time, is WM. of both Manchester Lodge of Masonic Research No.5502 and Loggia Santa Cecilia No. 180 Rome (Regular Grand Lodge of Italy). The talk was well illustrated and well received.
A very cheerful and pleasant festive board followed at which the old boys, whose time span at the school extended over 30 years from 1940 to 1970, exchanged reminiscences and were entertained by the present members of Sheaf Lodge.
The Photograph taken after the festive board, shows:
Back row: W. Brethren: Wilson, C. J. Berry, S. Hunter, G. Duffy, P. Darby, J. Cole, A. Clark.
Front Row: W. Brethren Dr. J. Wade, S. Butler (Master of Sheaf Lodge), P. Holdsworth, Dr. J. Richardson, M. Ferner, C. Watson (Secretary)
Posted in Uncategorized on April 1st, 2013 by David Clough