Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance (AA) is a tax free benefit for people aged 65 or over who need help with personal care because they are physically or mentally disabled.

Who can get Allowance Allowances?

You may get Attendance Allowance if:-

  • You have a physical or mental disability or both.
  • Your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself.
  • You are aged 65 or over when you claim.

If you are under 65 you may be able to get Disability living Allowance. Attendance Allowance isn’t usually affected by any savings or income you may have.

Special Rules – if you are terminally ill.

If you have a progressive disease and you are not expected to live for more than another six months there are special rules for claiming to make sure you get your benefit more quickly and easily. Under the special rules, the person doesn’t have to prove how much care they need. This means there is much less information that the person has to enter on the claim form. Claims made under the special rules are given priority treatment. A short medical report about the ill person’s condition must be sent in with the claim form. The report is called DS1500. The ill person or their representative should ask their doctor or specialist for a DS1500 report. The DS1500report will be based upon what is currently known about the Ill person’s condition.

It is not necessary to see the doctor to obtain the report. A nurse or doctor’s receptionist can be asked to arrange for the report to be issued.

How much do you get?

The amount you get depends on how much your disability affects you. There are two rates of Attendance Allowance.

Attendance Allowance Each Week       Equivalent per year
Higher rate if you need help both day and night      £77.45                £4,027.40
Lower rate if you need help during the day or night      £51.85                £2,696.20

How it’s paid

Attendance Allowance is normally paid directly into any account of your choice which accepts Direct Payment of benefits. This might be a bank, building society or other account provider.

You be able to get someone else to collect your Attendance Allowance if you wish. For help with this please contact your bank, building society or other account provider. If you would like more information about how you can be paid by other means you should contact the office dealing with your claim.

Effect on other benefits and entitlements

If you start to get Attendance Allowance, it might increase the amount of other benefits or credits you are entitled to. You may get an extra amount for severe disability with Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Pension Credit. If you are in receipt of any of these payments you should apply for a re-assessment immediately after Attendance Allowance is granted.

Attendance Allowance is normally ignored as income for working out these income related benefits and credit.

Rates and how to claim

Claim straight away – if you delay you may lose benefit.

You can get a claim pack by:

The local Age Concern or local advice service such as Citizens Advice Bureau should be able to help with the completion of the form.

What else you need to know

To get Attendance Allowance you must be in Great Britain or be treated as living here and meet other conditions about your residence and presence.

Also, changes to your circumstances can affect the amount of Attendance Allowance you get, or whether you get it

Posted in Almoners on January 13th, 2013 by David Clough

Back to home page